Saturday 21 January 2012

Ib's Tea Loaf

I thought I'd share a recipe for one of my family's favourite baking treats. Ib's Tea Loaf is named after my Granny's sister, Isobel aka Auntie Ib, who passed away nearly six years ago. I have been trying to make a tea loaf as tasty as hers ever since but she still retains the title of "Best Tea Loaf Maker".

Preparation:

1 cup of cold tea
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of currents

Leave to soak together in a bowl overnight.

Recipe:

1) Melt 4oz of butter in a saucepan.
2) Add the tea, raisins and currents to the pan. 
3) Add 1 cup of caster sugar and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
4) Preheat over to 175C/ 325F/ Gas 3 and leave mixture to cool.
5) Beat in 2 cups of self raising flour, 2 eggs and 1tsp of baking powder.
6) Grease a loaf tin and pour in the mixture.
7) Cook for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
8) Serve with butter and a cup of tea... Or if you're in my family peanut butter and syrup (do not judge until you have tried!)


No comments:

Post a Comment