Sunday 8 January 2012

Just Play it Cool Boy... Real Cool

I've been out the dating game for a while... five years to be exact. And to be honest I never really dated when I was younger. I met my first boyfriend at T in the Park. We shared a mutual love for Oasis, he was six years older and I fell in love at first sight. Back then I didn't even have a mobile. I actually think I used to phone his house to arrange to meet up then sit and drink wine in his room (classy). Oh how times have changed and ten years on I find myself in a world where you can not only text, you can BBM, Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook chat, Facebook stalk and Tweet.

So how do you date in 2012? There's always lots of relationship advice in magazines; mainly for people already in relationships:

"How to tell what he's really thinking"
"50 ways to spice up your sex life"
"Is it too soon to say I love you?"
"Why won't he commit?" etc. etc.

There's rarely any advice on dating because the only decent advice, if you no longer want to be single, is to play it cool... something I have never been very good at. Over the past year a lot of my friends have became single and I have realised that sadly, we tend to define ourselves as either having or not having a boyfriend/ girlfriend. I don't think I want a boyfriend at the moment. There are obviously times when it would be beneficial... Sunday duvet days for certain or having someone to drag to Nando's... but for the first time in a long time I'm being selfish. Making decisions just for me and thinking about what I want from life. So instead of making this a post on dating rules as I had originally intended, I am going to look at two of my favourite icons who were strong, complicated, independent, interesting and inspirational women and undeniably cool.

Marilyn Monroe
First, I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm a person. Then maybe I'll convince myself that I'm an actress.


All we demanded was our right to twinkle.


I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.


I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.


I restore myself when I'm alone.


It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far.


Sex is a part of nature. I go along with nature.


Audrey Hepburn

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it. 

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.


The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.


The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.



No comments:

Post a Comment